The Museum of Lake Minnetonka is an all-volunteer, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that has served the Twin Cities area with a unique, authentic experience since incorporating in 2004. As one of the only “living history” museums in the region, our mission is to inspire an enduring connection to Lake Minnetonka’s cultural heritage by operating the streetcar steamboat Minnehaha as an authentic, living museum and community icon.
The volunteers of the MLM are the stewards and operators of the streetcar steamboat Minnehaha, providing an average of 10,000 rides aboard the vessel annually. In addition to this, the MLM safe keeps a collection of historic documents, photographs, and artifacts in its archives.
To inspire an enduring connection to Lake Minnetonka’s cultural heritage by operating the streetcar steamboat Minnehaha as an authentic, living museum and community icon.
To ensure a living future for the past.
- Safety first: We place the safety of our passengers and volunteers above all else.
- Authenticity: We strive to be authentic in everything we do.
- Inspiration: We aim to bring the history of Lake Minnetonka to life through compelling narratives and stimulating experiences.
- Community focus: We unite all the communities of Lake Minnetonka through our shared heritage.
- Stewardship: We ensure that Minnehaha’s future is as valuable as her past. We honor our founders by passing forward the heritage they passed to us.